A unique career opportunity for pathology specialists.
This is a unique career opportunity to be part of a truly remarkable transformation programme which will implement the largest and most ambitious pathology transformation in the UK using a world leading laboratory information management system (LIMS) in partnership with two of the largest and most prestigious NHS foundation trusts: Guy’s and St Thomas’ and King’s College Hospital.
SYNLAB is the European market leader for human medicine laboratory services. In the UK, we are proud to partner with the NHS to provide diagnostic pathology testing services including the most innovative molecular and genetic diagnostic and digital pathology tests available. We also provide private sector pathology services, including COVID testing, workplace drug and alcohol testing and advanced veterinary testing.
SYNLAB is partnering with Guy’s and St Thomas’ and King’s College Hospital Foundation Trusts in a joint venture to deliver pathology services to the Trusts and to GPs across South East London. The South East London Pathology Transformation Programme will deliver a state of the art hub and spoke pathology service delivering over 35m tests per annum at a lower cost and with improved turnaround times in order to improve the quality and accessibility of diagnostics testing and enhance patient outcomes.
The core LIMS to support the pathology transformation will be Epic Beaker which will also be a key component of the Guy’s and St Thomas’ and King’s College Hospital electronic health record (EHR) programme, also known as Apollo. Apollo is the most ambitious programme of clinical pathway transformation the Trusts have ever undertaken and it will be powered by the world’s leading EHR system, Epic. The Epic Beaker LIMS, fully integrated to Trusts’ Epic EHR, will be at the heart of SYNLAB’s pathology transformation programme.
The Apollo programme will run in parallel to SYNLAB’s pathology transformation programme. Hence, this role offers the opportunity to be part of an exciting new joint venture between SYNLAB, Guy’s and St Thomas’ and King’s College Hospital, working on both the UK’s largest and most ambitious pathology transformation programme and a major EHR programme.
We are seeking talented individuals with a strong biomedical background who are keen to play an active role in building the future pathology service for South East London. Knowledge of Epic is not essential however experience in a large scale LIMS implementation would be beneficial.
The LIMS Principal Trainer lead the delivery of training for the Epic Beaker LIMS. You will define the training curriculum and develop course materials, working closely with the LIMS programme team, to produce a long-term training programme. You will ensure that the training programme and associated curriculum incorporates not only ‘how to use the system’ but also the specific changes in working practices and the importance of these in terms of pathology test accuracy, optimising patient outcomes and improving efficiency. Full training on the Beaker LIMS and will be provided by Epic.
- Develop high quality, up to date and easy to follow end user training materials for the Epic Beaker LIMS (and associated systems). This includes manuals, teaching aids, PowerPoint presentations, quick reference leaflets, and e-learning packages
- Training to incorporate change management for pathology processes and workflows
- Deliver training and e-learning support as necessary on a one to one basis or in a larger group environment dependent on service requirements using a blended learning approach where appropriate
- Tailor the training to stakeholder needs (eg laboratory staff and clinicians)
- Establish training needs for LIMS users
- Set up training venues as required
- Gather feedback on training provided and act on suggestions received that can improve the training programme
- Develop training plans in conjunction with EHR programme team, LIMS team and training colleagues
- Manage the training schedule, ensuring training slots are utilised and training records are kept
- Responsible for developing competence assessments that demonstrate achievement of course objectives
- Accurately update and maintain the learning management system with course information
- Responsible for the management of costs related to training activities
- Maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders, EHR and Pathology Transformation team colleagues and with suppliers
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject
- Biomedical science qualification or equivalent experience
- Experienced LIMS trainer
- Experience of providing systems and workflow training to pathology staff
- Significant experience of providing systems training in a complex hospital environment
- Experience in developing and delivering training courses using a variety of media, including learning management systems
- Good understanding of the implications of data quality on clinical safety and governance
- Advanced IT skills including Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent presentation skills – written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent stakeholder management skills including senior management and clinicians
- Ability to work under pressure and to specified deadlines
- Team player – able to build strong working relationships with colleagues and other stakeholders.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this role and have the skills, experience and behaviours we are looking for, please follow the link to apply. If this job isn’t right for you but you are looking for a new position, please keep check our website for future opportunities.
You will be invited to take an online aptitude test at the application stage of the process. The aim of the test is to ensure we recruit candidates who have the skills in order to succeed in the Epic accreditation training. The aptitude test aims to evaluate skills in problem solving, data interpretation and verbal reasoning. Successful candidates will be then invited to attend a virtual assessment session with real life exercises to assess capability and approach to LIMS and to a capability and behavioural competency final interview.
Synlab UK & Ireland is a committed equal opportunities employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable UK employment law.