A unique career opportunity for pathology specialists.
This is a unique career opportunity to be part of a truly remarkable transformation programme which will implement the largest and most ambitious pathology transformation in the UK using a world leading laboratory information management system (LIMS) in partnership with two of the largest and most prestigious NHS foundation trusts: Guy’s and St Thomas’ and King’s College Hospital.
SYNLAB is the European market leader for human medicine laboratory services. In the UK, we are proud to partner with the NHS to provide diagnostic pathology testing services including the most innovative molecular and genetic diagnostic and digital pathology tests available. We also provide private sector pathology services, including COVID testing, workplace drug and alcohol testing and advanced veterinary testing.
SYNLAB is partnering with Guy’s and St Thomas’ and King’s College Hospital Foundation Trusts in a joint venture to deliver pathology services to the Trusts and to GPs across South East London. The South East London Pathology Transformation Programme will deliver a state of the art hub and spoke pathology service delivering over 35m tests per annum at a lower cost and with improved turnaround times in order to improve the quality and accessibility of diagnostics testing and enhance patient outcomes.
The core LIMS to support the pathology transformation will be Epic Beaker which will also be a key component of the Guy’s and St Thomas’ and King’s College Hospital electronic health record (EHR) programme, also known as Apollo. Apollo is the most ambitious programme of clinical pathway transformation the Trusts have ever undertaken and it will be powered by the world’s leading EHR system, Epic. The Epic Beaker LIMS, fully integrated to Trusts’ Epic EHR, will be at the heart of SYNLAB’s pathology transformation programme.
The Apollo programme will run in parallel to SYNLAB’s pathology transformation programme. Hence, this role offers the opportunity to be part of an exciting new joint venture between SYNLAB, Guy’s and St Thomas’ and King’s College Hospital, working on both the UK’s largest and most ambitious pathology transformation programme and a major EHR programme.
We are seeking talented individuals with a strong biomedical background who are keen to play an active role in building the future pathology service for South East London. Knowledge of Epic is not essential however experience in a large scale LIMS implementation would be beneficial.
As Business Intelligence Analyst, you will lead the development of business intelligence reporting (operational, clinical and financial) from the Epic Cogito and Epic Beaker systems, on behalf of the South East London Pathology Transformation Programme. You will work with both the EHR Data and Analytics team and the LIMS programme team to deliver reporting and operational dashboards for the SEL Pathology Service from the Epic system and associated reporting tools including Microsoft Power BI. Full training on the Beaker LIMS and its reporting capabilities will be provided by Epic.
- Lead the development of pathology based clinical datasets and statutory reports
- Development of operational dashboards for the South East London Pathology Service
- Development of operational and financial reporting
- Provide expertise in the analysis of requirements, design of business intelligence solutions and development of datasets, reports and data visualisation from the Epic systems environment
- Ensure business information solutions are developed within agreed timetables, accurately reflecting the defined business requirements
- Ensure business intelligence solutions have passed quality assurance procedures prior to publication/distribution
- Responsible for training colleagues in the LIMS Programme Team to develop reports and dashboards for specific pathology disciplines
- Development of self-service reporting for SEL colleagues and Trust clinicians
- Development of structured extracts of pathology related data for Trusts’ data analytics and research requirements
- Manage and facilitate meetings/engagement opportunities relating to the development of pathology BI solutions for clinicians, managers and other business users
- Implement appropriate measures and controls to ensure data accuracy and integrity
- Able to present the results of complex data processing tasks to non-information staff in clear and unambiguous ways
- Research user experience and analyse the results to support a process of continual improvement for pathology reporting
- Support clinicians to access data for patient care and for research and development
- Maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders, EHR and Pathology Transformation team colleagues and with suppliers.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject plus master’s degree level or equivalent experience
- Significant experience of working in hospital-based pathology laboratories and knowledge of pathology disciplines and terminology
- Significant experience of business intelligence reporting in a pathology environment
- Significant experience of business analysis to determine reporting requirements
- Experience of providing operational, financial and clinical reporting
- Specialist training in the use of Microsoft SQL Server databases and programming and use of data visualisation tools including Microsoft Power BI
- Detailed knowledge of clinical datasets for pathology and statutory reporting requirements
- Specialist understanding of the implications of data quality on clinical safety and governance
- Good understanding of individual pathology disciplines and pathology workflows
- Advanced IT skills including Microsoft Excel
- Excellent stakeholder management skills including senior management and clinicians
- Ability to work under pressure and to specified deadlines
- Team player – able to build strong working relationships with colleagues and other stakeholders.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this role and have the skills, experience and behaviours we are looking for, please follow the link to apply. If this job isn’t right for you but you are looking for a new position, please keep check our website for future opportunities.
You will be invited to take an online aptitude test at the application stage of the process. The aim of the test is to ensure we recruit candidates who have the skills in order to succeed in the Epic accreditation training. The aptitude test aims to evaluate skills in problem solving, data interpretation and verbal reasoning. Successful candidates will be then invited to attend a virtual assessment session with real life exercises to assess capability and approach to LIMS and to a capability and behavioural competency final interview.
Synlab UK & Ireland is a committed equal opportunities employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable UK employment law.