Specialist Biomedical Scientist – Microbiology
We are currently recruiting for Specialist Biomedical Scientists to join our fast paced and dynamic Microbiology team. This role is part of a team which provides an efficient and effective Microbiology service to two general hospitals (Southend University/Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital Trusts) and local GP community.
As an important member of our team, you will be fundamental in making a positive difference to our healthcare service. You will receive regular training and coaching to develop your skills and to support you in your working life. We seek candidates who are passionate with good interpersonal skills and the drive to develop their career within our supportive environment.
The main responsibilities of the role are outlined below.
- To be able to rotate through all areas of Microbiology as required, and to perform all designated duties in accordance with local working practices.
- To perform and interpret routine and specialist biomedical investigations autonomously and to provide patients results within agreed quality standards of service delivery and turnaround times under the supervision of senior staff
- To provide professional leadership to Trainee BMS, Associate Practitioner, Laboratory technicians and MLAs in Bacteriology, Molecular biology, and Serology.
- To provide technical advice to clinicians as to the appropriateness of tests and timescales
Qualifications and experience required:
- HCPC registered, have at least 2 years post registration experience and have a Specialist portfolio or equivalent in Microbiology. We will consider applications from people nearing the completion of their specialist portfolio.
- Able to work across 3 different sites in a 24-7 work environment if required.
- Able to work with a high degree of accuracy, numeracy, interpretive skills and good problem-solving skills.
- Able to demonstrate a good knowledge and experience of industry standard laboratory information management systems and computer applications including Word, Excel, Power Point, Access and Statistical Packages.
- Working knowledge of Microbiological manual and automated techniques and practices.
- Working knowledge of Viral serology and Molecular biology techniques and platforms.